Skip navigation
Financial Aid

Financial Aid and Study Abroad

Federal Student Aid for Study Abroad

Students are eligible for Federal student aid (Federal Pell, SEOG, Direct Loans) for study abroad program. Students must complete the FAFSA and TAP, CUNY Supplement applications for the applicable award year to determine their eligibility for aid. Students must complete their applications and resolve all issues with their applications before their eligibility can be determined. Students interested in study abroad should apply for financial aid and resolve all issues at least 12 weeks before the beginning of the semester for the study abroad program.

The study abroad must be approved by City Tech (department for program of study) and must be considered part of a student’s eligible program. Credits earned for study abroad programs must apply towards a student’s academic credits required for graduation for the student’s program of study. The student must also remain enrolled at City Tech (home school) while attending the study abroad school. If the study abroad program has a higher cost of attendance than City Tech, the higher costs will be included in the student’s cost of attendance for the applicable award year.

New York State Aid for Study Abroad.

As a general rule, students are not eligible for the State’s Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) if any tuition payments are made to the foreign institution either directly by the student or by CUNY. Thus, only students enrolled in International Exchange Programs, and CUNY Faculty-Led Study Abroad Programs may be eligible for TAP, provided the total tuition charge does not exceed the CUNY tuition payable to the CUNY institution. Additional fees and expenses that are part of the cost of education overseas cannot be added to the tuition cost in determining the student’s TAP award; nor, are these costs considered “fees,” if they are tuition charges. For more information, please go to -professionals/tap-and-scholarship-resources/tap-coach/77-out-state-study.