Skip navigation
International Students

Incoming Students Menu


259 Adams Street,
Brooklyn, NY 11201

Melany Chavez Ordonez
Student Life International Student Advisor


Room: Office G516 and G510

Phone: 718-260-5391

Maintaining Status

Students who come to the US under a nonimmigrant classification of “F-1” or “J-1” are required to follow certain regulations in order to keep their legal status in the country. It is your responsibility to understand and follow these rules as they apply to your status. The most important rules for F-1 or J-1 are as follows:

  • You must attend the institution you have been authorized to attend on your I-20/DS2019.
  • Upon arrival into the US, you must report to the Office of International Student Services. Bring copies of your passport, I-94 and the stamped I-20/DS2019.
  • You must pursue a full course of study each semester during the academic year. Full time enrollment at City Tech is 12 credits per semester.
  • Do not pursue employment without proper authorization.
  • Report any changes from one program or educational level to another (associates to bachelors).
  • Apply for program extensions at least 30 days before the completion date on your I-20 (item #5 of the I-20) or DS 2019 (item #3 of the DS 2019).
  • Report any change of address within 10 days of change.
  • Do not attempt to change your major without discussing it with the Office of International Student Services first.
  • If you are a student transferring from another college, you must process your SEVIS I-20 or DS-2019 no later than 30 days after your previous school has released your record or 15 days after the start of classes, whichever date comes first.
  • Notify the Office of International Student Services before transferring to another institution or taking a leave of absence.
  • Always keep your passport valid.
  • You must have health insurance that meets US State Department requirements if you are a J-1 visa holder.