Skip navigation
International Students

Incoming Students Menu


259 Adams Street,
Brooklyn, NY 11201

Melany Chavez Ordonez
Student Life International Student Advisor


Room: Office G516 and G510

Phone: 718-260-5391

Obtaining a Visa

Step 1: Obtain an I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility)

As an international student, you will generally need to apply for a visa before entering the US. Once you have applied to the college, you will receive an acceptance letter and an I-20 Request Form, which must be returned to City Tech with the appropriate documentation requested. If the International Student Services Office has determined that you have sufficient funding to support your studies in the US, you will be forwarded an I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status). This does not guarantee the issuance of the visa.

Step 2: Schedule an appointment with the US Embassy

Step 3: Pay the SEVIS fee

Step 4: Prepare for your interview

Prepare and bring to your visa interview the following:

  • A passport valid for at least six months
  • Form I-20 (sign the form under Item 11)
  • School admission letter
  • Completed visa applications (DS-156, DS-158, and, if applicable, DS-157)
  • Two 2x2 photographs
  • A receipt for the visa application fee
  • A receipt for the SEVIS fee