Skip navigation
Transfer Students

Transfer Credit Evaluation Frequently Asked Questions

Academic records are evaluated for transfer course equivalencies after a student has been admitted and has confirmed their intent to enroll at City Tech.

Step 1: Application appeal has been approved

Step 2: Receive an acceptance letter from City Tech for the upcoming semester

Step 3: All required transcripts have been submitted by the student

Step 4: Negative service indicators (Bursar holds, etc.) have been cleared

Step 5: Transfer credit evaluation is completed

You may receive credit by earning satisfactory scores on one of the standardized national exams such as:

  • Advanced Placement (AP) program - minimum score of 3
  • International Baccalaureate (IB) - minimum individual courses grade of 5 - If you received an IB diploma with a score of 30 or higher, you can be awarded 30 credits
  • College Level Examination Program (CLEP) - minimum score of 50 (we don't accept CLEP for lab science)

No, as we do not have a criminal justice program at our college.

Your major department may approve transfer credit if you have training that is related to your major. We do not offer credit for basic training.

While you can't "opt-out", you may choose to repeat a course if granted departmental permission.

Transfer credit eligibility is determined by the final course grade. For courses taken at a CUNY college the minimum required grade is "D". For courses taken at a Non-CUNY college the minimum required grade is "C".

You will receive credit for courses you took regardless of how long ago, as long as they meet the eligibility criteria. However:

  • For technical/technology-based courses, it is at the discretion of the major department whether there is an exact match for the course currently or if you should be granted elective credit.
  • If you plan to apply to a health major and your science courses are more than 5 years old, as required by the major, you will need to repeat them.

Once official transcripts from all previously attended post-secondary schools are received, it may take approximately 3-4 weeks to complete the transfer credit evaluation.

You may request a re-evaluation by contacting our Transfer Credit Evaluation Team at or 718-260-5508 and submitting a completed Transfer Credit Re-Evaluation Form.

Course grades are used to determine eligibility for transfer credit and your cumulative GPA is used to determine eligibility for admission to the college (and certain majors). Although approved credits will transfer, the grades themselves do not.

If you want to appeal the Pathways category or writing intensive status of a transferred course, please fill out the the "Transfer Appeal Form" and send it to email If this appeal does not resolve the issue, you can appeal directly to CUNY by clicking here.

Quarter credits from other U.S. institutions are usually converted to semester credits by multiplying the number of quarter credits by 2/3. For example, 15 quarter credits equal to 10-semester credits.

No, there is no limit on the number of credits that may be transferred to City Tech. However, in order to complete either an associate or baccalaureate degree at City Tech, a student must complete a minimum of 30 credits at the College and 15 of those must be in their major.

Yes, college credits earned outside of the United States and its territories may transfer. However, City Tech does not evaluate non-domestic transcripts on campus. All foreign college transcripts and supporting documentation must be submitted to the University Applications Processing Center (UAPC) for review and evaluation. City Tech will determine which courses are eligible for transfer based on UAPC's assessment.

Colleges do not usually share records received from other schools. We may be able to retrieve the document if you submitted an application to your previous CUNY school online and submitted transcripts to the University Applications Processing Center. However, if you gave your transcript directly to your former school, we will not be able to access the document, and you must supply us with a recent (printed within 6 months) official transcript.

If the school is accredited or your program has an articulation agreement with City Tech, credits may be eligible to transfer.

No, remedial (also called developmental) classes are not considered college-level coursework and will not transfer.