STUDENT LIFE COORDINATOR
Office of Student Life & Development
Starting a Club
Any student at City Tech is welcome to start a club. Below is the simple process:
- Step 1 — Gather! Identify four student officers, have at least fifteen people interested in membership and identify a club advisor (a City Tech staff/faculty member).
- Step 2 — Paperwork! Once officers, members and advisor(s) have been identified, the corresponding documents must be completed and submitted. These can be found online and can be submitted via email or in-person at room G-516.
- Step 3 — Constitution! A club constitution must be submitted. The constitution may state basic information about the club, including the purpose and governing structure, officers’ functions, and club bylaws. A sample constitution is available online, under forms.
- Step 4 — Certification! Once all the submitted documentation has been approved, the club will be certified as a City Tech student club. Once recognized as a student organization at City Tech, clubs are allowed to meet on campus (when possible) as well as use allocated City Tech resources.
Eligibility to Join Clubs and Student Organizations
- Students must be enrolled in New York City College of Technology as either full-time or part-time for the current academic year.
- Students must be in good academic standing at the college to be eligible to join a club/student organization.
- Students must be in matriculated status to be eligible to join clubs or student organizations.
To find and join a club and/or student organizations that you might be interested in, click here
How to Start a Club/Organization
The Club Certification process for new organizations can be processed in person or online. All documentation is to be submitted via email to the Club Coordinator or in person, at G-516.
The steps in the process are as follows:
- Create a name for your club and think about the category it will fit into. There are two categories: Academic & Professional Clubs or Special Interests Clubs.
- Identify the club's officers: President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer. Remember, a minimum of 15 members are required to form or re-certify a club.
- Selecting a faculty or staff person to be the club/organization's advisor. The advisor must be a full-time faculty member or administrative employee of the college.
- Complete a Club Signature Authorization Card, which requires the EMPLID number, City Tech Email, and Full Name of the club's President, Vice-President, Treasurer, Secretary, and Club Faculty advisor. (You can submit a hard copy to the office)
- Start recruiting your 15 members!
- A membership roster must be submitted with the information of your 4 officers, faculty advisor, and 15 student members.
- Create a club constitution this is a document that your club shall follow indicating the following information:
- Name of Organization
- Purpose and Objectives
- Qualifications of Members
- Officers and Committees
- Termination of Membership, Resignation, and Non-active members
- All club officers must complete the Sexual Harassment, Gender-Based Harassment and Sexual Violence Curriculum and submit completed certification to the Club Coordinator, Sabrina Santos, SSantos@citytech.cuny.edu
- Now you can create your Club Page on Presence for approval. CLICK HERE TO START.
- Provide Club Name
- Welcome Message and Mission Statement
- Category Select "CLUBS"
- Meeting Location and Time
- On Campus or Virtual provide the appropriate rooms or links.
- Club President and Advisor