College Now Summer Program: ENGR1000
The ENGR1000: Introduction to Engineering Computer Technologies course introduces high school students to basic concepts and career options in Mechanical Engineering and Industrial Design Technology; Computer Systems Technology; Electrical Engineering Technology; and Electromechanical and Computer Engineering Technology. Over the course of five weeks, students participate in a rigorous program that includes class lectures, college-readiness workshops and weekly exposure trips relating to the class topics. Hands-on skills in these areas are developed and students use these skills to create an innovative product design that is unveiled in a marketing-style presentation at the end of the summer. The program covers the cost of tuition, books, supplies, metro cards and lunch.
Required Registration Documents
- College Now Summer Application Form
- Parent Consent Form
- Off-Campus Travel Waiver and Release Agreement
- High School Transcript
- Attend a New York City DOE high school
- Be a high school Sophomore (10th grade entering 11th) or Junior (11th grade entering 12th)
- Have an 80% GPA or higher on your high school transcript
- Have a good record of attendance in high school
- Demonstrate CUNY Proficiency through Regents, SAT and/or ACT exam scores in Reading & Writing AND Math
Students must meet BOTH 1 (Math requirement) and 2 ((Reading/Writing Requirement) below, and register for the ACCUPLACER Math placement exam prior to acceptance.
1. Math Requirement. Students must have:
- Scored 70+ in Algebra I (Common Core) OR scored 70+ in Geometry (Common Core) OR scored 65+ on Algebra II (Common Core)
- OR Scored 530+ on SAT/Math
- OR Scored 21+ on ACT Math
*All Math applicants are required to take the ACCUPLACER Math placement exam to determine level of proficiency in college Math.
2. Reading/Writing Requirement. Students must have:
- Scored 75+ on ELA Regents
- OR SAT I Verbal score of 480+ or SAT Critical Reading score of 480+ or SAT Evidence-Based Reading and Writing (EBRW) section score of 480+
- OR Scored 21+ on ACT English