STUDENT LIFE COORDINATOR
Office of Student Life & Development
Starting a Club
Any student at City Tech is welcome to start a club. The process to start a club is simple. First, clubs must have at least 15 people interested in being members and identify a club advisor (City Tech faculty or staff member). Once you have identified your members and advisors, there is paperwork that must be done; most of this is online. Finally, you must submit a club constitution. The constitution may state basic information about the club including the purpose and governing structure, the officers' functions, and club bylaws. A sample constitution is available online, under forms. Once the documentation is completed and approved, the club will be certified as a City Tech student club. As a recognized student organization at City Tech, your club will be allowed to meet on campus (when possible) and use City Tech resources.
Eligibility to Join Clubs and Student Organizations
- Students must be enrolled in New York City College of Technology as either a full or part-time student for the current academic year.
- You must be in good academic standing at the college to be eligible to join a club/student organization.
- Non-degree students aren’t eligible to join clubs or student organizations.
How to Start a Club/Organization
The Club Certification process for new organizations is completed entirely online.
The steps in the process are as follows:
- Create a name for your club and think about what category it will fit into. We have three categories, Academic, Professional, and Special Interests. Once that is complete, prepare your club constitution. Templates for club constitutions can be retrieved under the forms section. Include the mission/purpose of the organization and a separate description of your organization.
- Download a copy of the membership roster and have members of your organization complete the form with their first and last names, email address, telephone number and EMPL ID. You are to type the membership roster before handing it into the Club Coordinator. Remember, a minimum of 15 members are required to form or re-certify a club. In addition, you will need to identify the club's officers: President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer. Each officer must submit their first and last names, email address, EMPL ID, and telephone number. Club officers may not be included as a part of the required 15 members. Upon completion of your membership roster, you should have a minimum of 20 people; 15 non-officer members, 4 officers, and a faculty advisor.
- Select a faculty or staff person to be the organization’s advisor. The advisor must be a full-time faculty member or administrative employee of the college.
- 4. Complete (2) copies of the signature card, which requires the signature and EMPL ID number of the club’s President, Vice-President, and Treasurer. Club advisors are required to sign the card as well. Signature cards are available online, under the forms section.
- Submit all your completed documentation to Melany Chavez, the Club Coordinator at MChavezOrdonez@citytech.cuny.edu or here. The deadline date is established each academic year. Your organization must comply with the deadline to receive full consideration of services and funding.
- Wait to be notified by the Student Life & Development about the completion of your application status.
- Review and familiarize yourself with the Student Organization Resource Manual.
CHECK REQUEST PROCEDURE
In order to make purchases or receive reimbursements from a club account, students must submit a check request form.
PROCEDURE FOR REIMBURSEMENTS
- Download and print Check Request Form (available online)
- You must complete the form being sure to include the amount requested, club name, date, and the purpose of funding request. (Total dollar amount from all receipts must match the check request amount). The form must be signed by your advisor and SGA Treasurer before being submitted.
- Attach all relevant receipts, contracts, invoices, flyers and/or emails for events/meetings. No reimbursements will be processed without all documentation being submitted.
- Please scan and submit documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A quote (if any is available), itemized shopping cart, or detailed spreadsheet of what the club needs.
- Need Check request form, for requesting items to be purchased.
Fill out form below and attach your reimbursement or Supply Order documents.
For document submission, you may go to the following link: https://forms.gle/gL3Ev2VSr6W8aV55A