- Course Listings
- Meet the Chair
- Faculty Profiles
- NCATE Accreditation
- Student Resources
- CAEP Annual Report
300 Jay Street
Pearl Bldg 510 (P-510)
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Initial and Professional Certificates in Career and Technical Teacher Education
The certificate programs in Career and Technical Teacher Education are designed to enable students enrolled in the bachelor of science in Career and Technical Teacher Education to receive the New York State initial and professional certificates prior to completing their degree. Certification is a requirement for anyone to secure a teaching position in a public school anywhere in the State of New York as well as in most states outside of New York. Upon completion of the courses in a certificate program, the candidate will be able to apply, and will be recommended by the college, for the New York State Initial or Professional Certificate through New York State's Approved Program PathwayApplicants for the New York State teaching certificates must meet the following requirements:
- Initial Certificate – completion of 74 credits (including 30 credits in the content core and passing the New York State Teacher Certification Examinations (NYSTCE) - CQST.
- Professional Certificate – the Initial Certificate, 31 additional college credits and passing the NYSTCE - EAS.
- Prospective students must meet CUNY proficiency requirements.
- A minimum grade point average of 3.0 is required for transfer into the program. Applicants with a grade point average of above 2.5 may be considered.
- To be admitted, all applicants must write an essay and must be interviewed by program faculty to determine their eligibility for state certification and potential for success in the program.
All of the courses in the certificate programs leading to initial or professional certification will be accepted and applied to the bachelor of science in education in Career and Technical Teacher Education.
Please see the department website for courses required for each certificate, and the department chair for further information concerning certification examinations.