79th Commencement Ceremony
The New York City College of Technology is proud to announce its 79th Commencement ceremony, which will be held on Monday, June 3, 2019 in the Barclays Center, 620 Atlantic Avenue. The main entrance is located at the intersection of Atlantic and Flatbush Avenues. This modern venue is situated on top of one of the largest transit hubs in New York. Public transit is the fastest, most convenient way to travel there.
The ceremony will begin with the procession of the 2019 graduates at 6:00 pm SHARP.
What is the difference between Commencement Ceremony and Official Graduation?
- Our Commencement Ceremony is an event that is held once a year in June to celebrate those students who are candidates for official graduation.
- Official Graduation is completed by submitting an application for graduation to have an audit processed on your academic record by the Registrar’s Office. This audit makes sure all degree requirements have been successfully fulfilled.
The Graduation Fair will take place from Monday, April 15, 2019 — Thursday, April 18, 2019 from 8:30 am — 6:00 pm in the college Bookstore. This one stop event will provide an opportunity for graduating students to have their graduation photos taken, purchase caps and gowns, class rings and memento diploma frames, as well as participate in a raffle for a variety of gifts.
- Pre-ordered caps and gowns can be picked up in the college Bookstore beginning Tuesday, April 30, 2019.
- The Jostens ring rep will have event discounts. Visit Jostens.com ahead of time to see what rings you like!
- The t-shirts/sweatshirts with all the graduate's names on the back s are only available at the Grad Fair. The link to preorder: www.thecommencementgroup.com/nycct/. If you preorder you must come to the Grad event to pick up your items.
- After these dates, Continental Studios will continue to offer students the opportunity to have a graduation portrait taken in their studios. Just state that you are a City Tech student when scheduling an appointment. These photos are for personal use only. City Tech will not be using them for any publications. City Tech will not be creating a year book or participate in any distribution of your photos. You may schedule an appointment by going to the Continental Studios’ website, using the following link: www.continentalstudios.com. The studio will mail your proofs from which you may select the final prints.
Graduation Tickets (You must bring your NYCCT Student ID.)
Due to the large graduating class each graduate will be given five (5) tickets to the Commencement Ceremony. Ticket distribution for Commencement will take place on Wednesday, May 22, 2019 from 2:00pm - 7:00pm and Thursday, May 23, 2019 from 10:00am - 4:00pm in the 5th floor Library Lounge.
After all those participating in the ceremony have collected their initial five tickets there may be extras remaining. Any available extra tickets will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis on Friday May 24, 2019 in the Office of Student Life and Development in room G 516 starting at 10:00 am.
Click below to order tickets
This card will be given to you at the time you pick up your graduation tickets and will be used to call your name as you proceed into the graduation ceremony. We request that you hand your name card to the announcer in a timely manner so your name can be called as your family and friends wait.
Graduates are asked to arrive by 5:00 pm for line-up. You will be directed to line up with your department of studies.
We respectfully request that you line-up already dressed in graduation attire. It is recommended that personal items (e.g., purses) be given to a guest to hold until after the ceremony. Please note that no guests will be permitted in the line-up area.
If you need a letter to verify the date of graduation for your employer or for an embassy, please come to the Office of Student Life and Development, room G 516, call 718.260.5391 or contact Casey Briggs via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Make sure to include your name, contact information and the name and address of the person to whom the letter should be written. Please give the office 48 hours advance notice to produce the letter.
Please request all letters by Friday, May 17, 2019.
If you or a guest will require special accommodations such as assistance with mobility or interpretative services, please contact Casey Briggs at email@example.com before Friday, May 17, 2019. We will contact the venue to make appropriate arrangements.
The honors convocations are ceremonies held the last week of May to celebrate students at the highest level of academic achievement including:
- The valedictorian and salutatorian,
- Department special achievement award winners,
- Members of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars (NSCS), and
- Baccalaureate students with 60 or more credits taken at City Tech and cumulative GPAs of 3.25 or above.
Letters are sent to the City Tech email address and official physical address of eligible students by the end of April. If you believe you are eligible to participate and have not received an invitation by the end of April, please email StudentHonors@citytech.cuny.edu to inquire (and please don’t forget to include your EMPL ID).
2019 Commencement Countdown
Itemized list of required academic attire:
|Complete Set||$51 (+ tax)|
|Gown||$21 (+ tax)|
|Cap||$5 (+ tax)|
|Tassel||$3 (+ tax)|
|Hood||$22 (+ tax)|
You will not be allowed to participate in the ceremony if you do not have the required academic attire.
Getting to Barclays Center
We have chosen this venue for our 79th Commencement due to its proximity to our campus and convenience to our graduates. It is located at the cross-roads of Atlantic and Flatbush Avenues. The following is a brief summary of various modes of transportation you may wish to use:
By Bus: Twelve bus lines stop near the arena: B25, B26, B37, B38, B41, B45, B52, B63, B65, B67, B69, and B103.
By Subway: 2, 3, 4, 5, B, D, N, Q, or R train to Atlantic Avenue- Barclays Center Station. Take the C Lafayette Avenue or the G to Fulton Street.
By Car: Note that parking is both limited and costly. Barclays Center is easily accessed from the Brooklyn Bridge, Manhattan Bridge, or the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway. If you are using a GPS the venue’s address is 620 Atlantic Avenue, Brooklyn, NY.