How to Apply for Benefits

All students, regardless of what benefits they think they may be eligible for, should complete two forms: the Federal form: Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) available online and an application for New York State Tuition Assistance Program or TAP. When filling out the FAFSA online, be sure to click on the New York State residents link to complete the TAP application online as well as the CUNY supplement. New York State Division of Veterans Affairs, Veterans Tuition Award(VTA), may also be available for eligible students.

New students at New York City College of Technology who have not used any VA educational assistance programs should seek help through the Brooklyn Vet Center at 25 Chapel Street, Rm. 604 to determine which benefits would offer them the greatest value (Montgomery or Post 9/11) or go to A careful consideration of both bills should be explored before submitting an application. Although the post 9/11 GI bill offers more assistance, students may obtain more funding overall if they exhaust funds provided through the Montgomery GI Bill first.

Afterwards students apply in person to Jennifer Serrano 718-260-5988 in the Registrars office in room NG-15.

Reservists who have not used any of their Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve Educational Assistance (Chapter 1606) benefits, will need the original DD Form 2384-1: Notice of Basic Eligibility from their Reserve Unit (sample NOBE).

Dependents who have not received Dependents Educational Assistance Benefits Chapter 35, will need to apply using VA Form 22-5490 or provide a previously issued Certificate of Eligibility. New Chapter 30 & 1606. Recipients will need to complete a VA Form 22-1990

Veteran's Educational application forms are available at all VA offices, active duty stations, American embassies and City Tech's Registrar. In New York City, the Department of Veteran Affairs is located at 245 W. Houston Street, New York, NY 10001. Completed forms are to be submitted to Jennifer Serrano.

Transfer students who have received VA educational assistance benefits at other institutions of higher education should also apply in person. Transfers students only need to complete a VA 22-1995 Change in Place of Training form, which can be obtained through the campus certifying official our list as well.

Continuing students can be certified for benefits as soon as they have pre-registered for the semester.

Disabled veterans are eligible for considerable financial help when they apply for Vocational Rehabilitation at the Department of Veterans Affairs. You must have a VA certified disability rating of at least 20 percent. You will receive authorization directly from the VA. You need to bring this authorization to Monique Smith Blake in the registrar. She will notify the VA that you are enrolled and in attendance at the College.

Advance Payment- Eligible veterans may request an advance payment for their first two months prior to being certified. Advance payment must be requested no sooner than 120 days and no later than 45 days before the new semester begins. Advance payment checks are mailed directly to our office and can be picked up at the office during usual office hours. Students should be aware, however, that after receiving an advance check they will not receive another check for several months.

Important Information for all students
*Students MUST request certification for EACH semester they wish to have their enrollment certify to the VA.

*To request enrollment certification please email, to obtain the Veterans Enrollment Certification form. Submit the completed form as an attachment from your city tech email account or fax it to (718) 254-8532
ATT: Jennifer Serrano.

• 300 Jay St. Brooklyn NY 11201 • 1.718.260.5500 •