Veterans Support Services

Applying for Benefits

New students at New York City College of Technology who have not used any VA educational assistance programs should seek help through City Tech's Office of Veterans Support Services, Rm A236. You could also contact the Brooklyn Vet Center at 25 Chapel Street, Rm. 604 to determine which benefits would offer them the greatest value (Montgomery or Post 9/11) or go to A careful consideration of both bills should be explored before submitting an application. Although the post 9/11 GI bill offers more assistance, students may obtain more funding overall if they exhaust funds provided through the Montgomery GI Bill first.

Afterwards students apply in person with COE (Certificate of Eligibilty) in hand Veterans Certifying Officer in the Registrar's office in room NG-15.

Reservists who have not used any of their Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve Educational Assistance (Chapter 1606) benefits, will need the original DD Form 2384-1: Notice of Basic Eligibility from their Reserve Unit (sample NOBE).

Dependents who have not received Dependents Educational Assistance Benefits Chapter 35, will need to apply using VA Form 22-5490 or provide a previously issued Certificate of Eligibility. New Chapter 30 & 1606. Recipients will need to complete a VA Form 22-1990

Veteran's Educational application forms are available at all VA offices, active duty stations, American embassies, Office of Veterans Support Services A236 and City Tech's Registrar's Rm NG 15. In New York City, the Department of Veteran Affairs is located at 245 W. Houston Street, New York, NY 10001. All completed forms are to be submitted to Certifying Officer located in The Registrar's Office NG 15.

Transfer students who have received VA educational assistance benefits at other institutions of higher education should also apply in person. Transfers students only need to complete a VA 22-1995 Change in Place of Training form, which can be obtained through the Office of Veterans Support Services and the campus certifying officer as well.

Continuing students can be certified for benefits as soon as they have pre-registered for the semester.

Disabled veterans are eligible for considerable financial help when they apply for Vocational Rehabilitation at the Department of Veterans Affairs. You must have a VA certified disability rating of at least 20 percent. You will receive authorization directly from the VA. You need to bring this authorization to the Certifying Officer in the Registrar's office. The Certifying Officer will notify the VA that you are enrolled and in attendance at the College. See also Student Support Services.

Important Information for all students

Students MUST request certification for EACH semester they wish to have their enrollment certify to the VA.

*To request enrollment certification please email Veteranscertification, to obtain the Veterans Enrollment Certification form. Submit the completed form as an attachment from your City Tech email account or fax it to (718) 254-8532 (ATT: Jennifer Serrano).