The 2016-2017 FAFSA and TAP applications (summer 2016, fall 2016, and spring 2017) will be available starting January 1, 2016. Please file your applications by our priority deadline of March 31, 2016. There are three applications:
- Complete the 2016-2017 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) available at: www.fafsa.gov.
- Complete the 2016-2017 New York State Tuition Assistance Program Application (TAP) through the link from the FAFSA or at www.tapweb.org.
- Complete the CUNY Supplement Form if you are interested in applying for Aid for Part-time Study (APTS) and Federal Perkins Loans. The CUNY Supplement Form will be available on CUNYfirst (Student Service Center) April 2016. See attached instructions.
Use the IRS Data Retrieval option when you complete your FAFSA if you will file tax year 2015 taxes.
Application submission services are available at the Financial Aid Web Lab in room NG-08A. Check the financial aid website at: www.citytech.cuny.edu/admissions/financialaid/ for the service hours or call 718 260-5700.
First-time Applicants and Continuing Students
HOW TO APPLY FOR FINANCIAL AID: 2016-2017 AWARD YEAR
(SUMMER 2016, FALL 2016, SPRING 2016)
STEP ONE: ACCESS 2016-2017 FAFSA AT WWW.FAFSA.GOV
- Use your Federal Student Aid Identification (FSA ID) to complete and sign your FAFSA
- One parent (dependent students) should use his/her FSA ID to sign the FAFSA
- You must sign and mail the “Signature Page” if you or your parents do not use the FSA ID
- Tax filers will need 2015 income tax return or other income information
- Tax filers (students and parents) should use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool through www.FAFSA.gov to view and transfer their tax return information directly into their FAFSA
- You may also need other calendar year 2015 income documents (W2 Statement, bank statement)
- Print a copy of your FAFSA and the Confirmation Page
- City Tech’s FAFSA College Code: 002696
STEP TWO: FILE YOUR TAP ON THE WEB APPLICATION
The optional feature link to apply for TAP (New York state-based financial aid) is available on the FAFSA “Submission Confirmation” page. Complete the answers providing tax year 2015 income information. Tax filers will need a copy of their 2015 New York State tax return. If you miss the link to the TAP application on the FAFSA “Submission Confirmation” Page, you can go to www.tapweb.org to apply for TAP after your FAFSA is processed.
City Tech’s TAP college code is: 1405
STEP THREE: FILE YOUR CUNY SUPPLEMENT APPLICATION ON CUNYfirst (Optional)
File the CUNY Supplement Form if you want to be considered for Aid for Part-time Study (APTS) or Federal Perkins Loan.
- Log onto CUNYfirst at https://home.cunyfirst.cuny.edu
- Select “Self Service” from the left menu
- Click on the “Student Center” link
- Under the “Finances” section, click on “Supplement Form”
- Select “NYT01” for “Institution”
- Select “2016” for “Aid Year”
- Click “OK”
- Answer all the questions on the form and click “Submit”
PLEASE NOTE: The CUNY Supplement form will not be available on CUNYfirst until April 2016.
STEP FOUR: RESPONSES TO YOUR APPLICATIONS
- If you provide your e-mail address on the FAFSA, you will receive an electronic response;
if you do not, you will receive a response by postal mail.
- If you do not receive a response within three weeks after filing the FAFSA, go to www.fafsa.gov or call 1.800.433.3243.
- If you do not hear from HESC within three weeks of receiving your FAFSA response,
go to www.hesc.ny.gov or call 1.888.697.4372.
- Electronic filing is the preferred way for City Tech students to apply for financial aid.
If you wish, you may complete and mail a paper FAFSA. Download a paper FAFSA from: http://www.fafsa.gov/options.htm
- If you do not complete TAP on the Web, you will be mailed or emailed several reminders to apply at www.tapweb.org.
If you do not respond to these reminders, you will be sent a paper TAP (ETA) application.