It is important that you apply for both federal and New York State financial aid every academic year starting in January for the upcoming summer, fall and spring semesters. You can now apply for the 2015-2016 academic year . Make sure to file the appropriate applications for the semesters for which you want to be considered for financial aid. You complete the 2015-2016 financial aid forms to be considered for aid for the Summer 2015, Fall 2015 and Spring 2016 semesters. Apply early, follow up and complete them by the deadline dates. Below you will find information on what you will be applying for when completing the forms and you will find step-by-step instructions for applying.
Applying for financial aid at New York City College of Technology requires that you file two applications and the CUNY Financial Aid Supplement (optional):
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
This form is used to determine eligibility for the following programs: Federal Pell Grant (FPELL), Federal Work-Study (FWS), Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), Search for Education and Elevation through Knowledge (SEEK), Federal Perkins loans (FPL) and the William D. Ford Federal Direct loans (FDL).
- New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) Application
This form is to apply for New York State financial aid, which includes the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP), Part-time TAP (PTAP) and the Aid for Part-time Study Program (APTS).
- CUNY Supplement Form (Optional)
This form is used to determine eligibility for Aid for Part-time Study (APTS) and Federal Perkin's Loan. If you are interested in receiving APTS and Federal Perkin's Loan, you must complete the Supplement Form. If you are not interested in receiving APTS and Federal Perkin's Loan, you do not need to complete the Supplement Form.
The fast and easy way to complete the financial aid forms is to apply online beginning with the FAFSA at www.fafsa.gov. When you complete the FAFSA online, you will also be able to complete the TAP Application online. You must click on the link for New York State Residents on the FAFSA Confirmation Page to complete the TAP application. When the information is processed, you will receive instructions to go to the CUNY Portal at http://cunyportal.cuny.edu/, to complete the CUNY Financial Aid Supplement form.
Electronic filing is the preferred way for students to apply for financial aid. If you wish, you may complete and mail a paper FAFSA. Download a paper FAFSA from http://www.fafsa.gov/options.htm. If you do not complete TAP on the Web, you will receive several e-mail reminders to complete it at www.tapweb.org. If you do not respond to these reminders, you will be sent a paper TAP application.
How to Apply for 2015-2016 Academic Year
(Summer 2015, Fall 2015 & Spring 2016)
Below you will find a simple, step-by-step approach for filing for financial aid for the 2015-2016 academic year. When applying, we strongly urge you to use the available IRS Data Retrieval tool. By using this tool, you allow the IRS to complete the 2014 tax data section of your FAFSA for you. If you do not use the IRS Data Retrieval tool, and are selected for verification, you will be required to provide to us the IRS Tax Return Transcript for 2014 and all IRS W-2 forms for 2014. For a PDF of these steps, use the following links –
2015-2016 First-time Applicant and Continuing Students
First–time Applicants and Continuing Students
HOW TO APPLY FOR FINANCIAL AID 2015-2016 AWARD YEAR
(SUMMER 2015, FALL 2015 AND SPRING 2016)
Priority Filing Period: January 1, 2015 – March 31, 2015
STEP ONE: ACCESS THE FAFSA AT WWW.FAFSA.GOV
- Use your FSA ID to complete and sign your FAFSA.
- If you do not have a FSA ID, you can request one at https://fsaid.ed.gov/npas/.
- One parent (dependent students) should request a Federal PIN to sign the FAFSA.
- Otherwise, you must print the “Signature Page” for your parents to sign and mail.
- Choose “Start a new FAFSA”, Login and select 2015-2016 from the application choices.
- Gather your and your parents' tax year 2014 financial and income documents (federal and NYS tax returns, W-2 statements, bank statements and other documents).
STEP TWO: COMPLETE THE FAFSA
- Complete the income section with tax year 2014 income by selecting the IRS Data Retrieval tool if you or your parents (dependent students) are tax filers and meet the criteria to select this tool.
- Make sure you complete the household size and number in college.
- Type City Tech’s federal college code: 002696.
- Print a copy of your FAFSA and the Confirmation Page for your records.
STEP THREE: FILE YOUR TAP ON THE WEB APPLICATION
- The optional feature link to apply for TAP (New York state-based financial aid) is available on the FAFSA “Submission Confirmation” page
- Complete the answers by providing the year 2014 income information. You will need a copy of your year 2014 New York State tax return.
- If you miss the link to the TAP on the FAFSA “Submission Confirmation” page, you can go to www.tapweb.org to apply for TAP, after your FAFSA is processed.
- City Tech‘s TAP college code is: 1405.
STEP FOUR: FILE YOUR CUNY SUPPLEMENT APPLICATION ON CUNY Portal
- Log onto CUNY Portal at www.cuny.edu
- Select “Admissions/Financial Aid” from the top of the page
- Click on the “eSupp (CUNY Supplement)” link
- Answer all the questions on the form and click “Submit”
STEP FIVE: RESPONSES TO YOUR APPLICATIONS
- If you provided your e-mail address on the FAFSA, you will receive an electronic response; if you did not, you will receive a response by postal mail.
- If you do not receive a response within three weeks after filing the FAFSA, go to www.fafsa.gov, or call 1.800.433.3243.
- If you do not hear from HESC within three weeks of receiving your FAFSA response, go to www.hesc.ny.gov or call 1.888.697.4372.
- Electronic filing is the preferred way for City Tech students to apply for financial aid.
If you wish, you may complete and mail a paper FAFSA. Download a paper FAFSA from:
- If you do not complete TAP on the Web, you will be mailed or emailed several reminders to complete it at www.tapweb.org. If you do not respond to these reminders, you will be sent a paper TAP application.