Robert J. Russo
» Pearl 312 (P-312)
← Back to Faculty Listing
Robert J. Russo, Professor and Chair
Professor Russo is the chairperson of Vision Care Technology and the contact lens coordinator and anatomy and physiology coordinator. He is certified by the American Board of Opticianry, the National Contact Lens Examiners, the Opticians Association of America in Refractometry and is licensed in the states of New York and New Jersey. He is a past Commissioner for the Commission on Opticianry Accreditation, a past member of the board of directors of the Contact Lens Society of New York State and past chapter president of New York State Society of Opticians. Professor Russo is currently the President of the National Federation of Opticianry Schools.
In addition, Professor Russo has served on the faculty for the Opticians Association of America, Vision Expo East and West and EyeQuest. He has published several articles on contact lens and speaks frequently at the national and state level.
Professor Russo received an Associate Degree in Ophthalmic Dispensing from New York City Community College, a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Management from The City University of New York, and a Master of Arts degree in Education from New York University.
- Ophthalmic Dispensing Award - 1974
- Distinguished Service as Board of Director for the Contact Lens Society of New York State, 1983 - 1989
- Distinguished Service as past President of the Metropolitan Chapter, New York State Society of Opticians, 1983 - 1985
- Distinguished Service as a "Commissioner" for the Commission on Opticianry Accreditation, 1991 - 1997
- Philip Salvatori Alumni Achievement Award for distinguished service and commitment in contact lenses - 1998
- New York State Society of Opticians Certification of Commendation for 25 years of contributions in the field of ophthalmic education - 2007
- National Federation of Opticianry Schools "Dennis Tilley 2009 Educator of the Year Award" in recognition of his contributions to the advancement of formal opticianry education
- New York State Society 75th Anniversary Legacy Award in recognition for service to NYSSO, and the Profession in preparing Tomorrow's Opticians - 2011
- New York State Society of Opticians, "Optician of the Year Award" in recognition to a licensed optician who has elevated the standards of ophthalmic dispensing in New York State. - 2012
- "Astigmatism and Prospective Contact Lens Patient, Revisited," Eye Opener, 2005
- "GP Lenses: Exploring Reduced Visual Acuity," EyeWitness, 2007
- "Residual Astigmatism and the Prospective Contact Lens Patient," 20/20, 2007
- "Pediatric Contact Lens Fitting, The Etiology, Care, Management and Challenge of Our Youngest Wearers," EyeWitness, 2007