Margaret (Peggy) Rafferty
» Pearl Building 505 (P-505)
← Back to Faculty Listing
Margaret (Peggy) Rafferty, Chair
Professor Rafferty is the Chair and an Associate Professor in the Department of Nursing. Professor Rafferty has a B.S. in Nursing from the State University of New York College of Arts and Science at Plattsburgh, an M.A. in Nursing from New York University, and an M.P.H. from Columbia University. She has a DNP from Case Western Reserve University's Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing. Professor Rafferty was an Associate Professor and Associate Dean at Long Island College School of Nursing for almost twenty years prior to joining the NYCCT faculty.
She has also served as an adjunct professor of nursing at New York University, Pace University, Long Island University, and Phillips Beth Israel School of Nursing. Prior to entering academia Professor Rafferty gained clinical experience in a wide range of psychiatric/mental health nursing settings as a full-time clinician. Professor Rafferty is Board Certified as a Clinical Specialist in Adult Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing through the American Nurses Credentialing Center.
- Grasso, D. & Rafferty, M. (2012). Vitamin D: Implications of the Institute of Medicine Report for Clinical Practice The American Journal for Nurse Practitioners. January/February 16(1-2).
- Danzey, I.M., Ea, E., Fitzpatrick, J., Garbutt, S.J., Rafferty, M., & Zychowicz, M.E. (2011). The Doctor of Nursing Practice and Nursing Education: Highlights, Potential and Promise. Journal of Professional Nursing 27, 311-314. doi10.1016/j.profnurs.2011.06.008.
- Rafferty, M., & Lindell, D. (2011). How Nurse Managers Rate the Clinical Competencies of Accelerated (Second-Degree) Nursing Graduates. Journal of Nursing Education, 50, 355-358. doi:10.3928/ 01484834-20110228-07
- Garrett-Szymanski, K., Smith, P.R., McCabe, J., Samuels, R., Willis, C., Nawaz, I., Rafferty, M., Matthews, M. (2006). Inpatient Smoking Cessation Programs (ISCPS) Approaches to prompt identification of hospitalized smokers. Chest 130 (4): 268S.
- Smith, P. R., Rafferty, M., Kownie, K., Edwards, J., Kusterbeck, S., Bergman, M., Garrett-Szymanski, K., Meade, P., Mackin, J. (2004). Smoking Cessation Program Delivered By Student Nurses. Chest, 126 (4): 866S.
- Grasso, D., Mackin, J., Rafferty, M., & Smith, P. (2004). No Butts About It. Advance for Nurses, 4 (21), 16-17.
- Rafferty, M. (1992). Homeless in America: A Major Health Problem. In Smelter, S. & Bare, B. (Eds.), Brunner and Suddarth’s Textbook of Medical Surgical Nursing (pp. 197-207). 7th Ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott.
- Rafferty, M. (1990). Book Review, New York State Journal of Medicine. April.
- Berne, A., Dato, C., Mason, D., & Rafferty, M. (1990). A Nursing Model for Addressing the Health Needs of Homeless Families. Image: Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 22(1), 8-13.
- Rafferty, M. (1989). How Nurses are Helping the Homeless. American Journal of Nursing, 89(12), 1618-1619.
- Rafferty, M. (1989). Standing Up For America’s Homeless. American Journal of Nursing, 89(12), 1614-1617.
- Submitted testimony, Hearings on Health Care and Mental Health Care Needs of the Homeless. Subcommittee on Health and the Environment, Committee on Energy and Commerce, United States House of Representatives, Dec. 15, 1986. U.S. Government Printing Office.
- Rafferty, M. (1986). St. Francis, A Model for Assisting the Chronically Mentally Ill. New York Law School Human Rights Annual, 4(1), 47-53.
- Dato, C., & Rafferty, M. (1985). The Homeless Mentally Ill. International Nursing Review, 32(6), 170-173.
- Rafferty, M., Hinzpeter, D., Colwin, L. & Knox, M. (Ed.) (1984). The Shelter Workers Handbook. New York: National Coalition for the Homeless.
Academic and Professional Honors/Awards
- New York State Bar Association Committee on Courts and the Community Citation (1995)
- New York Counties Registered Nurses Association Presidential Citation (1985)
- Sigma Theta Tau - Honor Society in Nursing
- Graduate Fellowship- National Institute of Mental Health