Assistant Professor Gaffar Gailani, Ph.D
BS in Mechanical Engineering, Khartoum University,
ME in Mechanical Engineering, City College of New York:
PhD in Mechanical Engineering, City University of NewYork
2009 – Present: Assistant Professor, New York City College of Technology (Mech. Engr. Dept.)
2003 – 2006: Adjunct Faculty, Polytechnic University, (Mech. Engr. Dept.)
2001 – 2007: Design Engineer, Department of Design and Construction, New York.
2000 – 2000: Circle of Research and Development, General Electric Corp., Schenectady, NY
- NASA CIPAIR NNH10ZNE007N, $442K, PI, (Sept 2010 – Aug 2013).
- NSF S-STEM, NSF 1154500, Co-PI, $599K (2012 – 2016),
- CUNY-GRTI, PI, $23K, (2012-2013).
- PSC-CUNY, PI, $6K
- CUNY-CIRG, Co-PI, $30K, (2013 – 2014)
Areas of Interest
- 1- Porous Media
- 2- Solid Mechanics (Mechanics of Materials)
- 3- Biomechanics
- 4- CAD/CAE/CAM
- 5- Medical Implants and Biomaterials.
- 6- STEM Education and Curriculum
Selected Peer Reviewed Publications
- 1. L. Cardoso, S. Fritton, G. Gailani, M. Benalla, and S. Cowin, 2012. " A Review for Recent Advances in the Assessment of Bone Porosity, Permeability, and Interstitial Fluid Flow". Contribution to the special issue of the ASME Journal of Biomechanics on "Biofluid Mechanics" in honor of Shmuel Einav 70th Birthday. 46(2):253-65
- 2. M. Brahimi, G. Gailani, 2013. "A review for the interaction of fluid and structure in bone tissues". Inter. J. of Eng. Res. and Innov, ISSN 2277–5668, v(2) issue 4, pp380 – 385
- 3. G. Gailani, and S. Cowin, 2011. "Ramp loading in the Russian doll poroelasticity", J. of Mech. and Phy. of Solids, v59, issue 1, pp103 – 120.
- 4. S. Berri, G. Gailani, 2009. "Micro-Motion FE analysis of bone implants", Inter. J. of Engr. Res. and Innov., v1, issue 2, pp19 – 23.
- 5. G. Gailani, M. Benalla, R. Mahamud, S. Cowin, and L. Cardoso, 2009. "Determination of the permeability of the lacunar canalicular porosity", ASME J. of Biomech. Engr, v131-10, pp101007 (7pages).
- 6. S. Cowin, G. Gailani, and M. Benalla, 2009, "Hierarchical poroelasticity: exchange of interstitial fluid in porosity levels in bones". Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc. A on Mechanics. (367), pp 3401- 3444.
- 7. G. Gailani, and S. Cowin, 2008, "The unconfined compression of a porous annular cylindrical disk". Mech. of Mater. 40(6), pp507 – 523.
- 8. G. Gailani, S. Berri, and S. Cowin, 2009. " Modeling of flow in cortical bone". ASME J. of Ear. Car., pp101 – 107.
- 9. G. Gailani, S. Berri, and M. Brahimi, 2008. "Integrating of 3D modeling, FEA, and rapid prototyping in engineering technology". Proceedings of the ASME International Congress and Expo., Technical Publication # IMECE2008-67554, Boston, v9, pp 167 – 171.
- 10. G. Gailani, A. Sadegh, and S. Rahman, 2005. "Locked & unlocked plating in internal fixation of bones". Proceedings of the ASME bioengineering conference, Colorado, abstract #271171.
- 11. Stress Analysis of internal fixation of long cortical bone fractures. Gaffar Gailani & Ali Sadegh. ADINA news group, June 2006, available at http://www.adina.com/newsgD013.shtml
- 12. G. Gailani, and S. Cowin, 2009. "Russian doll poroelasticity; a model for fluid transport in bone tissues". Proceedings of the fourth Biot conference in Poromechanics, Columbia University, New York. pp121 - 126.
- 13. G. Gailani, S. Cowin, and L. Cardoso. " Measurement of the permeability of a single osteon". Proceedings of the fourth Biot conference in Poromechanics, Columbia University, New York, June 2009. pp139 - 144.
- 14. S. Berri, G. Gailani, and A. Zhang, June 2012. " Importance of Undergraduate Research in Engineering Technology Programs". Proccedings of the ASEE annual Conference, San Antonio, Texas.
- 15. S. Pratt, Y. Berry, Olivia Reed, and G. Gailani, April 2012. " Introducing Aerospace Curriculum to High and Middle Schools". ASEE Midatlantic Conference, Delaware University, DE.
- 16. G. Gailani, S. Berri, and N. Angulo, 2011. " Undergraduate Research Through NASA Initiative". Proceedings of the ASEE Mid-Atlantic Conference, Temple University, PA.
- 17. G. Gailani, S. Berri, and M. Brahimi, 2009. " A new CAD course integrating computations, rapid prototyping and research". Proceedings of Synergy in STEM conference, New York, pp105 – 108.
- 18. R. Shaul, D. Debrata, A. Mingo, O. Ukinamemen, G. Gailani, L. Cardoso, and S. Cowin, 2009. " Development of a mechanical system for osteon isolation". Proceedings of the ASEE Mid-Atlantic Conference.
- 19. G. Gailani, S. Cowin, and L. Cardoso. "Experimental determination of osteon permeability ". ASME Bio-Engineering Conference. Abstract No. SBC2008-192960, June 2008, Florida.
- 20. G. Gailani, S. Berri, and A. Sadegh. "Constructing a 3D finite element model to investigate the structural behavior of LCP, DCP & LC-DCP used in the fixation of long bones". IJME – INTERTECH International Conference, paper No. 204-037 New Jersey, 2006. Available on line at http://ijme.us/ijme/PDF/ENG%20204-037.pdf
Gailani G, Cowin SC, Cardoso L. 2009. Russian Doll Poroelasticity, Lambert, Cologne. ISBN 978-3-8383-0493-9
- 1- Invited guest to the National Science Foundation (NSF) Emerging Frontiers in Research and Innovation (EFRI), lecture title: Research Frontiers in Quantitative Understanding of Biological Systems with Interacting Fluids and Structures. January, 2013.
- 2- Invited speaker to the SUNY Down State Medical Center, lecture title: Review of Bone Porosity. Oct. 2010
- 3- ASME Panel on Career Path in Engineering. Yale University, CT. April 2012.
- 4- Russian Doll Poroelasticity. City Tech Faculty Research Conference, New York, March 2012.
- 5- Selected NASA CIPAIR 2010 Project Snapshots and "Lessons Learned". NASA CIPAIR Principal Investigators Orientation and Procurement Workshop. Greenbelt, MD, November 2011.
- 6- STEM Research Mentoring. Black Male Initiatives STEM Success Program Orientation. City Tech, New York, September 2011.
- 7- Review of Bone Porosity. Invited speaker to the SUNY Down-State Medical Center Bioengineering Seminar Series. New York, October 2010
- 8- Flow Through the Cement Line and Its Contribution to the Poroelastic Properties of Cortical Bone. 11th International Bone Fluid Flow Workshop. University of Toronto, Canada, October 2010.
- 9- Russian Doll Poroelasticity. 11th International Bone Fluid Flow Workshop. University of Toronto, Canada, October 2010.
- 10- Modeling of flow in cortical bone. ASME Early Career Technical Conference, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL, October 2009
- 11- Invited speaker to the 10th International Bone Fluid Flow, Penn State Hershey Orthopedics, Sept. 2009. Watch video presentation http://www.pennstatehershey.org/web/ortho/research/bonefluidflow
- 12- "Experimental determination of osteon permeability", Gaffar Gailani, Luis Cardoso, and Stephen Cowin. The 9th International Workshop on Bone Fluid Flow. Netherlands, May2008.