Djafar K. Mynbaev
» Voorhees Hall 728 (V-728)
← Back to Faculty Listing
Djafar K. Mynbaev
Areas of Interest:
- Optical communications
- Optical access networks
- Components for optical networks
- Pedagogic Research
- Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Leningrad Electrical Engineering Institute (LETI), USSR
- M.S. in Electrical Engineering, LETI, USSR
- ET 100: Techniques of Electrical Technology
- ET 162: Circuit Analysis I
- ET 242: Circuit Analysis II
- ET 313: Communications Electronics
- TC 100: Introduction to Telecommunications
- TC 500: Analog and Digital Communications I
- TC 620: Analog and Digital Communications II
- TC 700: Fiber-Optic Communications
- TX 415: Telecommunication I
- TX 416: Telecommunication II
- Djafar K. Mynbaev and Lowell L. Scheiner, Fiber-Optic Communications Technology, Prentice Hall, 750 pages, 2001.
- English reprint: copyright © 2002 by Science Press and Pearson Education North Asia Limited, ISBN 7-03-010131-6/TN • 379.
- English reprint: Fibre Optics Communications Technology, copyright © 2002 by Pearson Education India, ISBN 8-17-808317-5.
- Chinese translation: copyright © 2002 by China Machine Press, ISBN 7-111-09981-8.
- Djafar K. Mynbaev, “Optical access networks today and tomorrow,” tutorial delivered at IEEE Sarnoff Symposium, April 30 - May 2, 2007, Princeton, NJ.
- Djafar K. Mynbaev, “Bringing the spirit of industry into the engineering-technology classroom,” 2006 IJME - Intertech International Conference on Engineering and Technology, 19-21 October 2006, Kean University, Union, New Jersey, USA.
- Djafar K. Mynbaev, “The physical layer of the optical networks: Devices and subsystems,” Online Tutorials from IEEE Communications Society, 2006, www.comsoc.org/tutorialsnow.
- Djafar K. Mynbaev, “GMPLS – new approach to developing next-generation IP-over-WDM networks,” 3rd Annual Poster Session for Faculty & Student Research, New York City College of Technology, Brooklyn, NY, November 2005.
- Djafar K. Mynbaev and Karim Ech-Chahid, “Internet Protocol over DWDM,” 3rd Annual Poster Session for Faculty & Student Research, New York City College of Technology, Brooklyn, NY, November 2005.
- Djafar K. Mynbaev, “Globalization of Telecommunications,” 3rd Annual Poster Session for Faculty & Student Research, New York City College of Technology, Brooklyn, NY, November 2005.
- Djafar K. Mynbaev, “Broadband optical access: components for passive optical networks (overview),” Proceedings of SPIE: Optical Transmission Systems and Equipment for WDM Networking IV, Vol. 6012, pp. 6012-OQ1-12, Optics East, Boston, MA, USA, 24-26 October 2005.
- Djafar K. Mynbaev, "Analysis of Quality of Service Provisioning in Passive Optical Networks,” IEEE 2nd International Conference on Broadband Networks, BroadNets 2005, Boston, MA, October 3-7, 2005.
- Djafar K. Mynbaev (with Stamatios Kartalopoulos),, “Advanced Optical Networks: Devices, Architectures and Protocols,” tutorial delivered at the IEEE Globecom Telecommunication Conference (Globecom 2004), Dallas, TX, USA, November 29-December 3, 2004.
- Djafar K. Mynbaev, “Optical access: networks and components (overview),” Proceedings of SPIE: Performance, Quality of Service, and Control of Next-Generation Communication Networks II, Vol. 5598, pp. 81-92, Optics East, Philadelphia, PA, USA, 25-28 October 2004.
- Djafar K. Mynbaev, “Optical Access from Network and Component Perspectives,” tutorial delivered at The 4th IASTED International Conference on Communications Systems and Networks (CSN 2004), Marbella, Spain, September 1-3, 2004.
- Djafar K. Mynbaev, “Next-generation optical networks from network layer and physical layer perspectives,” tutorial delivered at 11th International Conference on Telecommunications (ICT'2004), Fortaleza, Brazil, August 1-7, 2004,.
- Djafar K. Mynbaev (with Lowell L. Scheiner), “Societal Impact of Telecommunications Technology” in Proceedings of International Conference on Politics and Information Systems: Technologies and Applications (PISTA'04), Orlando, Florida, USA, July 21-25, 2004.
- Djafar K. Mynbaev, “Teaching fiber-optic communications in engineering technology programs by virtual collaboration with industry,” in Proceedings of Education and Training in Optics and Photonics International Conference (ETOP), at the 87th OSA Annual Meeting and Exhibit, October 5-9, 2003, Tucson, AZ, paper EME5.
- Djafar K. Mynbaev, “Optical Fiber for Consumer Electronics,” Newsletter of the IEEE Consumer Electronics Society, May 2003, pp. 6-8.
- Djafar K. Mynbaev, “Telecommunications and the American Economy,” Newsletter of the New York State Engineering Technology Association, Spring 2003, pp. 16-18.
- Djafar K. Mynbaev (with Lowell L. Scheiner), “Telecommunications and the American Economy” Connections: The Magazine of New York City College of Technology, Spring 2003, p. 20.
- Djafar K. Mynbaev, “Topics in Telecommunications: New York City Telecommunications Networks After September 11, 2001,” National Center for Telecommunications Technologies (NCCT) News, Boston: Winter 2003, p.3.
- Djafar K. Mynbaev, “Optical networking: architecture and components,” tutorial presented at 10th International Conference on Telecommunications (ICT'2003), Papeete, Tahiti, February 2003.
- Djafar K. Mynbaev, “PON performance improves with multiplexing,” WDM Solutions, January 2003, pp.18-20.
- Djafar K. Mynbaev, “Passive Optical Network (PON): the solution to the “last-mile” problem,” Broadband Properties, Vol. 21, No. 9, October 2002, pp.22-27.
- Djafar K. Mynbaev, “Components for optical networks,” tutorial presented at The Second IASTED International Conference on Wireless and Optical Communications (WOC 2002), Banff, Canada, July 2002.
- Djafar K. Mynbaev, “From Core to Metro to Access Networks - The Need for Passive Optical Network,” Business Briefing: Global Optical Communications 2002, London, June 2002, Reference Section.
- Djafar K. Mynbaev, “Building the bridge between engineering and engineering technology schools in a telecommunications program,“ in Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference, June 16-20, 2002, Montreal, Canada, Document 2002-1291.
- Djafar K. Mynbaev, “The use of simulation software in fiber-optic communications undergraduate course,” in Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education Zone 1 Conference, April 5-6, 2002, West Point, New York, Paper 1-V-1-a.
- Djafar K. Mynbaev, “An engineering-level course for an engineering technology school,” in Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education Mid Atlantic Regional Conference, November 2-3, 2001, Staten Island, New York, Paper 1P-116.
- Djafar K. Mynbaev, “Novel approach to laboratory exercises in fiber-optic communications technology,” in Proceedings of the 2001 Spring Regional Conference of the Middle Atlantic Section of the American Society for Engineering Education, Rowan University, Glasborough, New Jersey, April 21, 2001, Paper 23-VI-5.
- As a CO-PI, received MSEIP grant from the U.S. Department of Education, “The Transfer of Learning From Mathematics and Physics to Computer Systems and Engineering Applications,” in the amount of $400,000 started in October 2006.
- As a CO-PI received Round Nine (9) - Year 2005/06 GRTI grant (with Physics Department) in the amount of $42,000.
- As a PI, received PSC-CUNY 33 research grant (award # 64440-00 33) in the amount of $3,000 for 2003/2004 academic year.
- As a PI, received Perkins grant in the amount of $100,000 for 2001/2002 academic year.
- A member of the editorial board of the volume “Telecommunications and Networking” published by Springer in 2004 (ISBN: 3-540-22571-4).
- Co-editor of the volume “Systems Communications” published by IEEE Computer Society in 2005 (ISBN: 0-7695-2422-2).
- A member of technical program committee and editorial board of iaria.org - non-profit technical organizations sponsoring conferences and publications in telecommunications (from Spring 2007.).
- In addition, he's served as a member of technical committees for professional societies (IEEE, OSA, SPIE, ASEE, IASTED, and iNEER), technical program committees for technical conferences, and as a reviewer for refereed journals.
Scholar on Campus:
- Professor Djafar K. Mynbaev of the Department of Electrical and Telecommunications Technology has been named 2006 Scholar on Campus of New York City College of Technology of the City University of New York.