» Pearl Building 613 (P-613)
← Back to Faculty Listing
- CHEM 1110
- CHEM 1110L
- CHEM 1210
- CHEM 1210L
- CHEM 3412
- CHEM 3412L
- Post-doctoral fellowship, University of São Paulo, 2005 – 2007
- Post-doctoral fellowship, Bok Center for Teaching and Learning, Harvard University, 2004
- PhD, Harvard University, Chemistry, 2003
- BA, Wesleyan University, Chemistry, 1997
Research in my lab focuses on the discovery and processing of electrocatalytic materials for energy generation and storage. We seek to optimize materials performance in a range of devices including metal air batteries, electrochemical double layer capacitors, and solid oxide fuel cells. We also seek to understand the connection between processing techniques, materials characteristics, and catalyst function.
- E. Farjami and L. J. Deiner, "Kinetic Study of the Oxygen Reduction Reaction on α-Ni(OH)2 and α-Ni(OH)2 supported on graphene oxide," J. Electrochem. Soc., 162(9), 2015, H571 - H 578, doi: 10.1149/2.0041509jes.
- L. J. Deiner, M. A. Rottmayer, and B. C. Eigenbrodt, "The Effect of Milling Additives on Powder Properties and Sintered Body Microstructure of NiO," J. Adv. Ceram., 4(2), 2015, 142 - 151, doi: 10.1007/s40145-015-0147-z.
- L. J. Deiner and E. Farjami, "Diffuse Reflectance Infrared Spectroscopic Identification of Dispersant/Particle Bonding Interactions in Functional Inks," J. Vis. Exp. (99), e52744, doi: 10.3791/52744 (2015).
- E. Farjami, J. F. Al-Sharab, A. K. Al-Kamal, and L. J. Deiner, "Efficient Impact Milling Method to Make Porous Graphitic Materials for Electric Double Layer Capacitors," J. Appl. Electrochem., 45(5), 2015, 385 - 395.
- J. F. Gomes, D. Profeti, and L. J. Deiner, "Influence of Particle Size Distribution on the Activity and Selectivity of Carbon Supported Platinum Nanoparticle Catalysts for Ethanol Electro-oxidation," ChemElectroChem, 1 (3), 2014, 665- 662.
- E. Farjami, M. Rottmayer, L.J. Deiner, "Evidence for Oxygen Reduction Activity of a Ni(OH)2/graphene oxide catalyst," J. Mater. Chem. A, 2013, 1, 15501 - 15508.
- L. J. Deiner, K. A. Piotrowski, and T. L. Reitz, "Mechanisms of Fatty Acid and Triglyceride Dispersant Bonding in Non-Aqueous Dispersions of NiO," J. Am. Ceram. Soc.,96 (3), 2013, 750 – 758.
- L. J. Deiner, D. Newsome, D. Samaroo, "Directed Self-Inquiry: A Scaffold for Teaching Laboratory Report Writing," J. Chem. Educ., 89 (12), 2012, 1511 – 1514
- L.A. Clare, L.E. Rojas-Sligh, S.M. Maciejewski, K. Kangas, J.E. Woods, L.J. Deiner, A. Cooksy, and D.K. Smith, "The Effect of H-Bonding and Proton Transfer on the Voltammetry of 2,3,5,6-Tetramethyl-p-phenylenediamine in Acetonitrile. An Unexpectedly Complex Mechanism for a Simple Redox Couple," J. Phys. Chem. C, 114, 2010, 8938 – 8949.
- C.A. Angelucci, L.J. Deiner, and F.C. Nart, "On-line mass spectrometry of the electro-oxidation of methanol in acidic media on tungsten carbide", J. Solid State Electrochem., 12(12), 2008, 1599 – 1603.
- A. L. Santos, L. J. Deiner, and H. Varela, "The effect of ultra-low proton concentration on the electrocatalytic reduction of nitrate over platinum", Catal. Comm., 9 (2), 2008, 269 – 272.
- L. J. Deiner and F.C. Nart, "Evidence for diffusional coupling in electrochemical thin layers:
Implications for surface coverage calibration via electrochemical infrared spectroscopy," J. Solid State Electrochem., 12 (5), 2008, 511 - 516.
- F. V. Andrade, L. J. Deiner, H. Varela, J. F. R. De Castro, I. A. Rodrigues, and F. C. Nart,
"Electrocatalytic reduction of nitrate over palladium nanoparticle catalysts: A temperature dependent study", J. Electrochem. Soc., 154 (9), 2007, 159 - 164.
- B. K. Min, R. J. Quiller, L. J. Deiner, and C. M. Friend, "Water dissociation associated with NO2 coadsorption on Mo(110)- (1x6)-O: Effect of coverage and electronic properties of oxygen," J. Phys. Chem. B., 109 (43), 2005, 20463-20468.
- L. J. Deiner, D. H. Kang, and C. M. Friend, "Promotion of Formaldehyde Production by Oxidation of Mo(110) with NO2," J. Phys. Chem. B., 109 (16), 2005, 8085-8090.
- L. J. Deiner, D. H. Kang and C. M. Friend, "Low temperature Reduction of NOÂ¬2 on oxidized Mo(110)," J. Phys. Chem. B., 109(26), 2005, 12826-12831.
- L. J. Deiner, A. S. Y. Chan, M. A. Sheehy and C. M. Friend, "The reaction of CH3NO2 on O-covered Mo(110): the effect of oxygen on product distribution," Surface Science 555 (1-3), 2004, L127-L132.
- L. J. Deiner, C. M. Friend, J. G. Serafin, S. G. Weller, J. A. Levinson, and R. E. Palmer, "Insight into the partial oxidation of propene: the reactions of 2-propen-1-ol on clean and O-covered Mo(110)," J. Am. Chem. Soc., 125 (43), 2003, 13252-13257.
- L. J. Deiner and C. M. Friend, "Modification of the dehydrogenation activity of Nickel on O-covered Mo(110)," Surf. Sci., 539, 2003, 21-30.
- A. S. Y. Chan, L. J. Deiner, and C. M. Friend, "Search for intermediates in the catalytic reduction of NO by methane: the reaction of nitromethane on oxidized Mo(110)," J. Phys. Chem. B., 106 (51), 2002, 13318 – 13325.
- J. A. Levinson, I. Kretzschmar, M. A. Sheehy, L. J. Deiner, and C. M. Friend, "Rearrangement as a probe for radical formation: bromomethylcyclopropane on oxygen-covered Mo(110)," Surf. Sci., 479, 2001, 273 - 286.
- L. J. Deiner, S. L. Wilcke, C. M. Friend, and F. C. Nart, "Potential intermediate in CH4 - assisted reduction of nitric oxide: the reactions of methyl nitrite on oxidized Mo(110)," Surf. Sci., 477, 2001, L301-L307.
- L.J. Deiner, Y. Bi, G.A. Lane, S. Peleshanko, "An Inkjet Ink Including Polyurethane," US 8,563,634.
- L.J. Deiner, S. Peleshanko, G.A. Lane, "Ink Compositions," International Patent Application PCT/US2009/047861, 2010.
Articles Published as Conference Proceedings
- L. J. Deiner, A. Marruffo, and T. L. Reitz, "Mechanochemical Approaches to Ceramic Ink Formulation," pp. 318–22 in NIP 28th International Conference on Digital Printing Technologies, Quebec City, Canada, 2012.